Effective Date: 2 April 2021
- Overview of basic data protection principles
- The information we collect
- The ways and purposes we use your data for and grounds for data processing
- Situations when the information may be disclosed
- Your rights, data security, changes to the policy & other matters
- Black Valley is the processor of all the personal data you provide when you use our website (the “Platform”) located at https://www.new.blackvalley.co.uk (the “Site”). We are Black Valley Limited, a U.K. comp
- any (registered company number 1283734) with its registered office at 41 Wood Green Road, Birmingham, England, B18 4DJ. Our Data Protection Officer contact is email@example.com and we are UK ICO registered (No. to follow)
- · Whenever you sign up to any functionalities of the Site, in particular to the trial period, newsletter, download e-books, enrol a webinar or e-course etc. we may collect your email address and other given data such as: first name, last name, job position, company name, phone number or other contact data. You provide your personal data voluntarily but we may require some personal data to supply you at least with basic functions of the Platform or other functionalities accessible via the Site;
- · Black Valley minimizes the scope of gathered data, so we don’t collect data we believe to be unnecessary to achieve purposes they are collected for. The primary purpose of collecting your personal data is for us to provide you the services that we offer for the duration of our relationship with you. We do not collect any sensitive data;
- · We will send you marketing messages only if you specifically consent to receive such marketing materials from us. You may withdraw your consent at any time by either sending an email to our DPO (email address above) or clicking on the “unsubscribe” button on our emails.
- · We encourage you to test and subscribe to the Black Valley Platform; if you do so, please mind that we may need to process further personal data (such as identity information), numbers (contact phone numbers), billing address and payment information) – we will use them to supply our services and to process payments i.e. to perform the contract in accordance with the Terms of Service;
- · Your data may be disclosed to the trusted third-party recipients who supply Black Valley with auxiliary payment processing or marketing services or provide other services necessary for us to provide our service to you. Note that we engage with third party companies who may provide sponsorship, mentorship or other relevant offerings that form part of the services we provide to you and we may share your data with those third parties (only) for such purposes. Their use of your data will be governed by their own privacy policies which you may review at any time on their respective websites and if you object then you can let us know and we will not share your personal data with that third party;
- · To secure high standards of data protection we won’t transfer your personal data to any third-party entities outside the company that are not subject to GDPR – EU Regulation 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 or UK equivalent legislation that provides adequate data protection standards, unless you expressly consent to do so;
- · We will store your personal information only for the necessary period required due to the purpose of their processing, depending on the circumstances, i.e. for instance until you decide to unsubscribe from our mailing lists.
- · Black Valley provides that you may access, rectify or erase your personal data, restrict the processing and object to processing of your data at any time – particularly upon login to your profile or by contacting us; please note that this may involve cancelling subscription of our newsletter, revoking access to our educational materials, or be limited by respective laws;
- If you have any privacy-related complaints or suggestions, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org; it’s best to contact Black Valley as the first step; you also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority relevant for your country (for EU individuals see this link);
2. The information we collect
When You use the Black Valley Site and Platform we may collect various information necessary to provide You with the best experience and Black Valley features, such as:
2.1. Submitted Information.
When registering for an account with Black Valley, we may collect the following information:
- · your full name
- · your email address
- · your location
- · your contact phone number and
- · a unique password.
We may also collect information regarding your current employment status. You submit all the data voluntarily but some of them may be obligatory to use certain functionalities of the Site.
When paying to use the Site, we may collect further information from you including evidential numbers (tax identity number, registration number in relevant court, administrative or commercial registers – in case of corporate entities), personal data (such as identity information), billing address and payment information. If you submit payment information, we do not store credit card numbers you may use to make payments on the Site. Payment information is passed on to and maybe stored by, our third-party payment processor; Stripe.
It is your responsibility to give us current, complete, truthful and accurate information, and to keep such information up to date. Black Valley will not be responsible for any problems or liability related to inaccurate or incomplete personal information, whether due to your failure to update such personal information or otherwise.
Nevertheless, please note that Black Valley does not gather sensitive information (i.e., personal information specifying medical or health conditions, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership or information specifying the sex life of the individual). Please refrain from supplying any of such information to Black Valley in any communications.
2.2. Automatically Collected Information.
When you use the Site, we gather certain non-personally identifiable information from you, and this information can be associated with your Site account. This includes, but is not limited to, usage information, such as information on when, how often and for how long you use the Site, records of the way you use the Site as well as server log data such as a computer’s IP address, browser type, device information or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site.
2.4. Tracking and Third-Party Cookies.
Like many websites, the Site does not respond to “do not track” browser headers. But you can take steps to limit tracking by erasing cookies from your computer’s hard drive and by setting your browser to block all cookies or warn you before a cookie is stored.
3. The ways and purposes we use your data for and grounds for data processing
3.1. Performance of services.
We need the data you submit to supply you with the Black Valley Platform and fully enable you to take advantage of all the Site’s features hence the reason to process this information is to fulfil the contract and our legitimate interests such as performing our legal and contractual duties and commercial interest to provide you with good service. We may also need this data to verify your identity to protect against fraud, comply with respective laws and confirm your eligibility to use our products and services.
3.2. Account Maintenance.
We may use the collected information for the purposes for which you provided the information including, for example, to create and maintain a Site account for you or to respond to a question that you email to us. We also use the collected information as necessary to help us better understand your ways of using the Black Valley products and behaviour so that we may make decisions about how we manage your account, offer discounts and provide the features and functionality of the Site to you.
3.3. Updates and Troubleshooting.
We may also use the collected information to contact you regarding updates or modifications to the Platform, to help troubleshoot problems, for data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes or to alert you to changes in our policies or agreements that may affect your use of the Platform.
3.4. Personalized Content and Enhancing Black Valley Product.
We may use the collected information to personalize the content that you and others see based on personal characteristics or preferences and to allow you to participate in interactive features of our Platform when you choose to do so. We may also analyse collected information relating to your use of the Platform to help us improve the Platform and develop and improve other products and services, i.e. to help market and provide new products and services that interest you.
3.5. Promotional Offers and Other Training Related Communication.
We may use the collected information to provide you with promotional materials, personalize advertisements and offers or information that we feel may interest you such as digital news, success stories, webinars, etc. or other projects that Black Valley is engaged in which you can consent to receive from us.
If you have agreed to receiving such materials from us, we will give you the ability to opt-out of receiving such emails in accordance with applicable law. If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please notify us by e-mail at email@example.com; and include sufficient information for us to identify your account, including your name, e-mail address and the specifics of your request, or you can use the “unsubscribe” or “change your email preferences'' link at the bottom of an e-mail message. However, after you unsubscribe to cease receiving emails, depending on the chosen setting, we may still contact you via email for administrative or informational purposes, including messages regarding the administration of your account (if you have one). We never provide your personally identifiable information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent, which shall be voluntary – the absence of such consent shall in no way limit your ability to use the Platform.
3.6. Third-Party Web Analytics.
Black Valley may use third-party analytics providers and products to obtain, compile and analyse Information about how users are using and interacting with Black Valley and/or the Services and about devices used. These analytics providers may use a variety of established or new tracking technologies or tools (including, without limitation, cookies, pixels, web beacons, HTTP cache, local shared objects and persistent identifiers) to recognize your computer or device and/or to collect or compile this information. We may use this information to improve your experience of using the Black Valley Service and to improve the overall quality of our Service, as well for our own marketing purposes and practices such as to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you. We may also use this data to make suggestions and recommendations to you about Black Valley courses or features of the Platform or Site that may interest you as well as for other purposes described in sec. 3.1.-3.5. above. Black Valley has no control over the technologies, tools or practices of the third parties that provide analytics products and services to Black Valley.
- · Google Analytics
- · Salesforce Pardot
- · Flurry Analytics
- · Salesforce Einstein Analytics
3.7. Legal grounds for data processing
The legal grounds to process the information is to provide you with the Platform (fulfil the contract), enable you to use the Site and its features as well our legitimate commercial interests such as performing our legal and contractual duties (i.e. supplying you with Black Valley training and services via the Site) and commercial interest to provide you with good service and enable the marketing communication so that we can stay in touch. Therefore, your data may be processed on more than one legal ground such as your explicit consent, contract fulfilment or our legitimate interest. Please note that in some cases we don’t need explicit consent to process the data. We may also process your data on the grounds of our legitimate interest such as to conduct and manage Black Valley service and to ensure the security of our systems. When we don’t process your data upon your consent or to supply your services via the Site (to fulfil a contract) before we process such data we always consider and balance any positive or negative potential impact on you and your rights before we process your personal data for such legitimate interests and if the negatives would prevail – we would never process such data (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted by law).
Therefore – please find the reasons and legal ground for processing your data listed below:
- · When we use your information or third-party web analytics to provide the Black Valley Service or functionalities of the Site, manage your account, for updates and troubleshooting or for personalizing the content we use information submitted by you to fulfil the contract, for our legitimate interest to provide you with the best quality service and market our products or design-related events and based on our legal obligations
- · When we use your information to protect against frauds such as information submitted by you and from third-party web analytics – we do it for our legitimate interest to develop and improve how we deal with unwanted situations such as doubling accounts, using one account by many users
- · When we use your information, device data or third-party web analytics to manage your account, for updates and troubleshooting and to keep Black Valley services running we do it to fulfil the contract and for our legitimate interest – to provide you with a good service, to fulfil our legal and contractual duties efficiently.
4.0. Disclosure of information
We share and disclose the information we collect about you as follows:
4.1. Third-Party Service Providers
We use consultants, contractors and third-party service providers who may collaborate with us on the development or maintenance of the Site or Service and such third-party contractors or service providers may obtain access to the information you provide, including personally identifiable information. The third-party contractors or service providers are required to protect this information and must not use the information for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for us, in a way described in their privacy policies.
As you can see, we are really into the transparency of data processing here at Black Valley. Therefore, please find the categories of service providers we may share your data with:
- · Payment services providers. Please note processing of payments will be subject to the terms, conditions and privacy policies of such third-party payment processors.
- · Email services providers – we may disclose your email address to third-party email services providers for purposes of managing our email communications with you.
- · Advertising services providers– for instance, we may use third-party services to serve you ads across the web after you leave the Site. These are common advertising practices often called tracking or retargeting. As such, when you visit the Site, you may receive a cookie from a service provider so that these services can recognize your browser on third party websites for purposes of showing you an advertisement that we have selected. We may also learn more publicly available information on you from third-party service providers. You will be able to object to any such cookies when you log in to our Site as part of our Cookies Policy.
- · Customer Support and general services providers – we use customer support platforms in connection with your submitted information to help you troubleshoot problems relating to Black Valley, facilitate our communication via diverse means and other suppliers of general services like accountants, consultants, etc.
- · Hosting and cloud computing services providers.
- · You may request the actual list of Third-Party Service Providers and their Privacy Policies by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4.2. Business Arrangements
We may disclose non-personally identifiable information to third-party partners in furtherance of our business arrangements with them, including without limitation to jointly offer a product or service to you or create interoperability between our products and services and the products and services of such partners.
4.3. Legal or Contractual Requirement.
We will use and disclose information where we, in good faith, believe that the law or legal process (such as a court order, search warrant, subpoena or other lawful requests by public authorities) requires us to do so, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We will use and disclose information in other circumstances where we believe it is necessary to protect the rights or property of Black Valley, our customers and/or third parties.
We may also disclose the information to enforce or apply the Terms of Service (Terms & Conditions) and/or any other agreements between you and us or to investigate potential breaches and to protect the rights, property or safety of Black Valley, our customers or others.
4.4. Affiliates. Reorganization.
We may disclose this information to our affiliates for use as described in this Policy nevertheless such affiliates never determine the purposes and means of the processing of personal data but may solely supply ancillary services to Black Valley. In the event of a merger, sale of capital stock or assets, reorganization, consolidation or similar transaction involving Black Valley, the information we possess, including personally identifiable information, shall be transferred as a corporate asset to the acquiring entity, provided that such entity will continue to handle such information in accordance with this Policy.
5.0. Your rights, data security, changes to the policy & other matters
You are entitled to benefit from protection deriving from the applicable laws of the “GDPR” – The EU Regulation 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 and UK equivalent data protection laws on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data (General Data Protection Regulation). Therefore, notwithstanding the particular information pointed out particularly in the Overview above, please be advised as follows.
Please note once again that Black Valley shall be the administrator of any personal data that you may share with us or Black Valley gathers when you use the Site. Please be informed that if you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to supply you with some or all of our services via the Site. In this case, we may have to cancel your use of your Black Valley account, but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
We shall cease to process your personal data after your subscription to use the Services elapses or is terminated. After your subscription to use the Services elapses or is terminated, we may only process your personal data as required for: i) calculation of the Service and submitting any possible claims for payments for the Service that may be due to us; ii) determinations regarding any forbidden or unlawful use of the Service; iii) fulfil any particular obligations or entitlements deriving from applicable laws; iv) marketing, promotion and market or consumer preference research or for business or Service development – in this last example – with your separate consent (unless such consent is withdrawn) or until you explicitly opt-out, which you are entitled to do at any time.
You can log into your account and view or amend your account information at any time. To the extent you decline to share certain information with us, we may not be able to provide some of the features and functionalities found on the Site. Please note that while changes to your profile information are reflected promptly in active customer databases, we may retain all of your information.
You are fully entitled to access, modify and even delete any personal data you have provided us with – in order to do so please communicate your request with an email sent to email@example.com; or send us a letter to the business address of our Company indicated above.
When you want to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you or when you want to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected or wish to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it (object to the processing) please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org; Please note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request. Please note that some legitimate interests such as the full settlement of remuneration, Black Valley security reasons or other legal retention requirements may supersede any right to erasure requests under data protection laws.
You have the right to request a restriction of processing your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it. If you wish to exercise this right please contact us at email@example.com
You may withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. Please note however that it does not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. You may exercise this right by using in-app functionalities, unsubscribe link or other similar features we provide you with and – as always – by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that when you withdraw consent, any requests in relation to the modification, deletion or restriction of the processing of your data means that we may not be able to fulfil the agreement to supply Service or other Platform functionalities. In such a case, we may have to cancel your use of the Black Valley services, but at the time we will notify you if this is the case.
You have the right to transfer your personal data to you or to a third party. If you wish to exercise the right we will provide to you your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format, which you can then transfer to an applicable third party. Please consider that this right only applies to automatically processed information that you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you. If you require this then please contact us at email@example.com.
Minding the above, at any time, you also have an opportunity to choose whether your personal information is (i) to be disclosed to a third party or (ii) to be used for a purpose that is materially different from the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by you – using settings accessible to you via the Site or by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and including sufficient information for us to identify your account, including your name, email address and the specifics of your request.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
Sometimes we may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
We do our best to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made several requests. In such cases, you will be notified, and we will keep you updated.
You have the right to file a complaint regarding the processing of your personal data at email@example.com. When we receive formal complaints, we will contact the person who made the complaint to follow up. We may work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities or Privacy Shield dispute resolution panels, to resolve any complaints regarding the processing and transfer of personal data that we cannot resolve with our users directly. If you are an EU citizen or resident please contact the Information Commissioner.
5.1. Security of information
The information we collect about you is stored in limited-access servers. We will maintain reasonable safeguards to protect the security of these servers and your personally identifiable information. We have implemented and continue to ensure that any personal data that you may share with us is secured with Secure Socket Layers (“SSL”) encryption, which aims to prevent any unauthorized third party from obtaining or modifying any electronically transmitted personal data. We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorised access to systems. We restrict access to personal information to Black Valley employees, affiliates, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations. They will be disciplined, or their contract terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
However, no security measures are 100% effective and we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal data or other personally identifiable information. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet. Any transmission is at your own risk. Therefore, we must expressly disclaim any representation or warranty, whether express or implied, with respect to ensuring, guaranteeing or otherwise offering any definitive promise of security in connection with the transmissions made when you use the Site but once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to secure your data.
5.2. Transfer to Other Countries.
Black Valley uses data centre facilities in the United Kingdom. Your information will be stored and processed in the United Kingdom. If in the future we use a data centre outside the UK or EU, we will only use one that has adequate data protection as set out in the GDPR and we will inform you of the change. If we do that, you will be deemed to have consented to the transfer of information to the country where the new data centre is located, even if your country has more rigorous data protection standards but you may withdraw your consent at any time. Black Valley ensures that data is safely stored within the UK or EU but may need to provide secure access to freelance staff who are based overseas, for processing.
5.3. Children Under 13.
We do not knowingly collect information from children under 13 and the Site is not directed at children under 18. If you are a parent and believe your child under the age of 13 has used the Site and provided personally identifiable information to us through the Site, without your express permission to do so, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work to delete that Site account.
5.5. How to contact us
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at email@example.com or the business address of our Company indicated above in the Overview part.
- What are cookies?
- A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is saved onto your computer, smartphone, tablet or other device when you visit our site.
- Cookies store small pieces of information. For example, one type of cookie will remember that you have visited our site before.
- Cookies help us to improve your visit and experience when browsing our site by, for example, storing certain information so you don’t have to re-enter it on subsequent visits.
- Cookies also assist us in tracking which pages of the website you have visited.
- We use both persistent cookies (which stay with your computer and will work until their expiry date, unless deleted by you beforehand) and session cookies (which expire when you close your browser).
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly Necessary cookies. These cookies are essential for the operation of our site (for example, to add our products to your shopping cart).
- Analytical/ performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our site. This enables us to personalise our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our site, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our site and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
- You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
Third party cookies
Your interaction with cookies
- It is possible to disable and remove cookies from your computer or device by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to do so. You will need to know what browser you are using and what version you have.
- You can refer to your browser’s help section or visit the www.aboutcookies.org/ website for further information and assistance with cookies.
- Please be aware that if you use your browser settings to block or amend certain cookies, your browsing experience may change for the worse.
Changes to this policy
- We may update, change, modify, add or remove portions of this policy at any time, and any changes will become effective immediately. Please visit this page periodically if you want to keep up to date.
Should you wish to delete your cookies then you can do so as follows:
HOW DO I DISABLE COOKIES?
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings. Further details on how to disable cookies for the most popular browsers are as follows:
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Choose the menu “tools” then “Internet Options”
- Click on the “privacy” tab
- Select the setting the appropriate setting
For Google Chrome:
- Choose Settings> Advanced
- Under "Privacy and security," click “Content settings”.
- Click “Cookies”
- Choose Preferences > Privacy
- Click on “Remove all Website Data”
For Mozilla firefox:
- Choose the menu “tools” then “Options”
- Click on the icon “privacy”
- Find the menu “cookie” and select the relevant options
For Opera 6.0 and further:
- Choose the menu Files”> “Preferences”
What happens if I disable cookies?
This depends on which cookies you disable, but in general the website may not operate properly if cookies are switched off. If you only disable third party cookies, you will not be prevented from using the Black Valley website, but your experience may be impacted.